Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Momentum

I started to title this "Motivation" but I realized that what I truly experience is "Momentum."

I can be motivated to do things.  But more often, I find that if I force myself to start something I wasn't motivated to do, I can keep going on momentum for a very long time.  And I enjoy the *whatever* while I'm at it, and am proud of what I accomplish.

Since I had three days this weekend, I *finally* felt like I'd relaxed enough and didn't resent having things cut into my limited "me" time, so I got moving on some tasks.  Just basic housework, laundry, etc.  But it was amazing how easy it was to keep going once I started.  That is, until I sat down for lunch... and since I finished eating before the show was over, I stayed to watch the rest of the show.  And then, well, as long as I'm taking a break I can call Paul.  And next thing I know I've been sitting for more than an hour, and I have *no* interest in getting back to the tasks that I was happily blasting through just a little while earlier.

I knew that if I got moving again I'd be fine.  It's not like I didn't know that.  I just couldn't make myself *do* it.

I think I'm going to have to go back to using a timer.  Not merely for doing the tasks (a trick I don't have to resort to as often anymore, but still very effective) but rather for *not* doing tasks.  Thanks to a friend on the message boards, I've started using a timer to limit my computer time at home.  But that particular timer is on my desktop, and doesn't do much for me when I'm goofing off elsewhere.

But I always have my phone.  And my phone has a built in timer.  So I think... I'm going to have to treat myself like the lazy, spoiled kid I can sometimes be, and set strict limitations on my goofing off time.

Sigh... This being a grownup stuff isn't nearly as much fun as I thought it was going to be.  ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment