Tuesday, February 2, 2010

February goals and goal review

It's the beginning of the month - a good time to review my progress and set/revise/surrender goals.

So let's start by looking at my New Year's resolutions:

  1. Make a new budget, including debt reduction and retirement and household stuff (and stick to it, of course)
  2. Remove everything from the house that isn't mine or doesn't fit my new life and goals, and make room for Paul and his things/life/goals but without sacrificing me and mine.
  3. Continue to make my home (soon to be our home, I hope) into a place of peace and joy that is as pleasant to me as a day in a resort.
  4. Continue to find and practice hobbies and interests that bring me fulfillment and pride.
  5. Make time every month for family and friends
  6. Take some time - maybe every day - to consciously relax and let things go.  
  7. Schedule things more carefully so that I'm not as rushed and my time doesn't feel as limited. 
 Progress - scoring on scale of 1 to 10:
  1. Score: 9.  I'm doing really well here.  I've set up a budget and I review it every time there is any spending.  I'm still adjusting my budget as I gain more information, but I'm getting it dialed in pretty well.  And I'm cutting back on unnecessary spending again, as I should.  I'm not yet reducing my spending in areas like utilities - that'll come after some of the other changes.  But I feel I'm on the right path and headed in the right direction.
  2. Score: 1.  Only because there isn't a zero.  I'm completely failing here.
  3. Score: 3.  I'm cleaning up again, but still fairly stalled out in this area.  Once I get goal #2 going again, I'll probably be able to focus on #3.  Can't work on the new while I'm buried in the old.
  4. Score: 7.  I'm not doing as much "adventurous" cooking yet, but that's partly a function of time, budget, and practicality (making a gourmet meal for one just wastes a lot of food and isn't as much fun).  But I *am* trying new recipes sometimes.  I've also decided to get a degree which, since it isn't strictly a necessity, I think counts as "hobbies and interests that bring me fulfillment and pride."  And I'll be getting back into poker again more seriously.
  5. Score: 6.  I did make a commitment to get together with my oldest (longest?) friend every 6 weeks or so for lunch and a movie... but the very first weekend we were going to do it fell apart.  I was on call (a rare occurrence and unavoidable) for a corporate emergency, and she decided to take her son out of town for his birthday.  I got together with my second longest friend for our annual Jane Austen dance.  I made plans to have my mother out to see the house and to take her to dinner for her birthday.  I made plans to see my ex-sister-in-law and another friend for Valentine's Day.  I have tried to visit my aunt, and now will be spending Superbowl Sunday with my cousin (her daughter) - though I can't get credit for planning this one, it planned itself (but I'm excited about it) and I'll see my grandparents while I'm down there.
  6. Score: 5.  I *am* taking time for myself most days and getting in some exercise, but I haven't focused on consciously de-stressing during this time.
  7. Score: 3.  Now that I'm planning so many activities, I feel *more* overscheduled instead of less.  But I'm giving myself permission to fail on some things, which gives me some time back but in exchange for guilt and a chaotic environment.  I need my routines and schedules so that I'm making steady progress on all the things I need to do; nothing else will give me the feeling of peace and guilt-free relaxation during my downtime.

Last night someone started the subject of February goals, and I tossed mine out there on the fly.  I didn't review my prior goals until just now, so I think it was a mistake for me to make new ones before doing that.  But here's what I had written:

  1. Work out at least *some* every day, even if it's only 5 minutes. 30 is better, but do *some* every day.
  2. Do my &^%$ing daily tasks. Or else!
  3. Keep up with the healthy, homecooked meals - NO fast food or restaurants (except for someone else's special occasion that THEY choose to go out to eat). (I did great in January - yay!)
  4. Stay within my budget - and work on some little ways to tighten up there also.
  5. Stay on top of the little stuff, like cleaning up after a meal and putting away my clothes when I change.
  6. Schedule all of my health appointments.
  7. Make progress on school-stuff, side-job stuff, house stuff 

Hmmm - I see the beginning of a trend of 7 items.  Coincidence, or some subconscious idea of what the "right" length of a goals list ought to be?  lol.

Looking at my two lists, I think I did a good job with making February goals.  They are mostly a refinement of my New Year's goals - modified as I dial in to various areas.  I'm glad I didn't start a whole new list of stuff.  But I think it's best if I really consolidate the two lists properly.

Okay, here goes:
  1. Continue to respect and refine my budget.  Including finding a few little ways to reduce spending a bit more.
  2. Get rid of some of the stuff I've already earmarked for removal.  List it somewhere or something!  Make a plan and do it.  Hire handyman to take care of handyman task list.
  3. Keep up with my daily housekeeping task list.
  4. Continue to make time for school, poker, reading, yarnwork, fun cooking, cultural events, etc. and give each one my all while I'm doing it.
  5. Keep various appointments with family and make some more (ex MIL and ex FIL, Dad's birthday, reschedule oldest-friend (and her birthday), San Diego cousin, Rusty and Helen, others?)
  6. Exercise every day - make sure there's some stretching (especially since I had to stop seeing the chiropractor).  Use this time to refresh my mind and consciously get rid of crap.
  7. Stick to my routines, and add new ones if necessary.  I do have enough time, but only if I use it wisely.  I even have time to watch some TV and play on the computer, if I schedule it.  But fucking off when I'm supposed to be doing something else is a failure in every way; I don't accomplish my tasks AND I don't get the full benefit of relaxing because I feel guilty for not doing what I know I should.  Keeping to routines is respecting my time, and will give me more time for other things since I will get in *proper* relaxing time and won't feel so constantly in need of it.
  8. Set up all the various doctors appointments.

No comments:

Post a Comment